After the EARTHQUAKE of 2012 the Archive Office of Ferrara State is still partially unusable.
From April 2013, the consultation is possible in the Studio Hall of provisional 'ALA CORAMARI for a limited number of users.
The Ferrara State Archives preserves archives of offices and public bodies who have been resident in the district of the province. It also preserves the private archives, as well as documents concerning part of the territory of some of the current neighboring provinces (the territory of Lugo and Conselice included in the province of Ravenna, the Po of the Beyond the territory included in the province of Rovigo, lands and castles located in the provinces of Bologna , Modena and Reggio Emilia).
The documentation relating to the Estense family was transferred, with the passage of the Duchy of Ferrara under the direct rule of the Holy See, to the city of Modena.
The Municipal Archives ancient section, filed in 1962 at the Ferrara State Archives, in 2008 was transferred to the Municipal Historical Archives in Via Game of Ball, 8.
The retained funds not naturally exhaust the documentation for Ferrara and other locations of the province: it will be necessary to look in particular the funds kept in the AS Bologna, where there are among others the religious corporations del Ferrarese, and at the ' Modena AS, AS Forlì and then AS Roma, where there are among other scrolls of the city and the abbey of Pomposa, from sec. XI. It should be noted that the documentation of the magistrates Ferrara was severely damaged during World War II.
At the Civic Library Ariostea they are preserved records and manuscripts of great importance that integrate the AS Ferrara funds (see. G. Antonelli, Index of the manuscripts of the Municipal Library of Ferrara, Ferrara 1884). At the archbishop's archive, under the name of the bare archive, the archive of publicly owned waste is stored, format Napoleonic era and contains the papers of religious orders suppressed between the end of the century. XVIII and the beginning of the century. XIX. All of those documents, which were related rights and interests still active, it was traded by the papal government with the minutes of the October 21, 1853 the Archbishop of Ferrara Ludovico Vannicelli Casoni to provide for the restoration and maintenance of the sacred buildings of Bondeno territory. It was dissolved in 1872 the administration of residues ecclesiastical goods, is provided for the liquidation of capital due to the administration itself.
Chapter IV of the agreement signed in Faenza January 12, 1598, between Don Cesare d'Este and Cardinal Pietro Aldobrandini for deed of Louis Martini notary of the Apostolic Chamber and Rondoni Francesco Ferrara notary. Cfr. STATE ARCHIVES OF MODENA, Archive Este secret. Section "Home State". Inventory [by F. VALENTI], Rome, 1953 (PAS, XIII), p. 260.
BIBL .: Bonaini, pp. 84-105; News 1876, pp. 124-125; Archives 1952, p. 378